Take a tour of the USA with Mrs. Doan! We begin our journey in the New England States along the east coast and work our way west, traveling through every state in our great country! Along the way we will map rivers, lakes, oceans, mountains, national parks, and famous landmarks. Hands on projects and activities such as lap books, games, oral presentations, and clay map projects make this class a wonderful learning experience.
This course is a 32-week year long course.
1st semester- We focus on the reading and writing skills students need to learn how to research. Lap book projects, games (to memorize our states and capitals), and public speaking skills are sprinkled in to enhance our learning.
What parents can expect: This class is an activity and project based class that teaches students to do research and find their own answers. (You must have access to the internet or library books every week.) I motivate the students by rewarding them with tickets for every completed assignment. The students spend their tickets at my “World Market” that I bring twice a year on the last day of each semester. My goal is to facilitate the love of learning and help motivate students to think and work independently in the classroom and at home. At the beginning of the semester you can expect your student to need your help looking up answers and organizing all of their work and
keeping it together. Around the 3rd-5th weeks of class is when some kids feel overwhelmed with the new skills they are learning. It’s okay! They will be comforted that they are not getting penalized, but being rewarded for their progress. I can quickly recognize when a child is or is not working to their potential or when they are struggling. I will encourage each of them to keep working to the best of their ability and offer them immediate feedback during class as they work. They will see that it will get easier and easier every week! If you feel the need to alter some assignments to fit the learning need of your child and family, please do, and let me know! I'm here for you so we can work together.
2nd semester- Students have had much growth during first semester! After the students are comfortable using their new research skills, it's time to do the hands on projects! We will make a clay map of the USA and complete a State Report.
By the end of the year students will:
- Be able to identify bodies of land and water, countries, and various physical features throughout the world.
- Be able to deal comfortably with maps.
- Be able to use atlas.
- Understand latitude and longitude.
- Be able to describe relationships depicted on maps, distances, coastal vs inland features, and weather.
- Use correct names for the parts of the Earth and parts of a map.
- Become aware of the relationship of geography to cultures, to global issues, and to themselves.
Class time will be spent:
- Mapping and research
- Engaging in hands-on activities to extend learning
- Learning and discussing course content together
- Student Presentations
Registration and Tuition:
- A $50 deposit is required by June 8th* to hold your students spot in the class. If your deposit is not received by June 8th*, your student will be removed from the class roster. Please include the name of your student, name of your charter school, and/or if you will be paying out of pocket. This deposit is non-refundable after July 1st, 2020*.
- Tuition is due in FULL on August 15, 2020*
*These dates are subject to change due to COVID19. Please use them as guidelines and contact me if you have any questions.
I accept electronic payments only. Cash or checks will not be accepted by mail or in class.
- Venmo: @Brittany-Doan-2
- PayPal: email@example.com
- CashApp: $bedoaned or 949-363-3634 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charter School Purchase Order
When placing your PO, please choose to have payments made in one lump sum at the end of the semester.
Fall Semester- December 1st
Spring Semester- May 1st
YES! I accept Charter funds
- Place your purchase order in FULL by August 15, 2020. When your charter funds have cleared at the end of the semester, your deposit will be returned to you. Or if you, continue second semester, it will be returned to you at the end of the second semester.
If you school is not listed, please send in a request to your school and we can get the approval process started!
- Excel Academy
- Springs Charter Schools*
- Julian Charter School*
- Sky Mountain*
- Inspire Charter School
*(Vendor status needs to be updated for the 2020-2021 school year)